April is upon us! We'll be kicking off the slip sew-along slowly, going over supplies/tools today and prepping your fabric later this week. If you're just tuning in, the sew-along is for my pattern Butterick 6031, a slip in stretch jersey fabric. We'll be sewing the coordinating panties at the end as a bonus.
Here's what you'll find inside your kit (if you ordered one). This will also help you collect supplies if you're sourcing your own.
|Left to right: 1) Fabric, 2) wide lace, 3) narrow lace, 4) picot edge elastic, 5) 1/8" elastic, 6) rings and sliders, 7) bows|
2. Wide lace for the upper cups, midriff, and slip hem. Your wide lace should be in the 1.25" to 1.5" range. You can use either width and it will not effect the construction or fit of the slip.
3. 1/2" Narrow lace for the straps.
4. Picot edge elastic. This finishes the upper back edge of the slip.
5. 1/8" elastic. This stabilizes the top of the bra cups.
6. 2 rings and 2 sliders to make the straps adjustable.
7. 2 bows for decoration.
Besides these supplies, you'll also need:
1. Thread. All purpose poly thread is ideal. It's a good idea to have thread in your fabric color and in your lace color.
2. Stretch or jersey sewing machine needles. (They may also be called ballpoint needles.) These prevent skipped stitches when sewing on knits. Size 10-12 should work fine.
3. Hand sewing needle to sew on bows.
4. Shears or rotary cutter and mat. A rotary cutter works really well on knit fabric, but it is not a necessity.
5. Small, sharp scissors for trimming away lace.
6. Sewing machine with a zigzag stitch.
That's it! Look for a post later this week on prepping your fabric.
P.S. If you didn't get a kit and still want one, don't worry! I'm taking pre-orders for kits that will ship in roughly two weeks. This means that you won't get to sew along with the beginning of the sew-along. However, posts stay up here on the blog forever and ever and you can do the sew-along at your own leisure. I will also start a Flickr group so there's a place for you sew-alongers to congregate.