Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Well, here's Rosie, dressed up as a strung-out bunny. She's not too fond of wearing her costume, but we bribed her with lots of treats to get a few shots. I used Simplicity 2827 as a starting point, but had to make some big changes for Rosie's tiny flat head.
First of all, a hood was never going to work.
The pattern's hood was round, like a little baby head. I ended up detaching the hood from the little coat and making a headband-like piece that ties under her chin. It has earholes to keep it on. The only problem is that when she's all strung-out, she puts her ears back, causing the headband to fall off.
Off course, she needed a little cottontail.
Anyway, that's a dog in a bunny costume.
More importantly, we are all safe and sound post-hurricane. We were very lucky in our area. The winds were insane--it sounded like a mack truck was on our porch and a jetliner was flying overhead. The lights flickered off a few times, but we held on to our power. The huge tree that hangs over our backyard has weathered the storm, amazingly. A shutter and some siding flew off the house, but that's easily fixed. The next day, walking Rosie across the street, we came across a live power line pinned down by a fallen tree, buzzing ominously on the ground. Scary. It was repaired in record time, however!
The damage in Manhattan is certainly sobering. Both FIT (where I study) and The Sewing Studio (where I teach) are still without power. I'm sending good thoughts out to you all, and hoping you are weathering the aftermath.
And a Happy Halloween to you all!
P.S. I finished my witch-themed ballgown from Vogue's New Book for Better Sewing; pictures to come later on.