Where: Beetle and Fred, an all-new spacious and fully-stocked sewing boutique in the heart of Beacon, New York. Located on Main Street in the midst of the galleries, vintage shopping, boutiques, and fabulous restaurants of this charming small town. 171 Main Street, Beacon, NY 12508
When: Choose from three sessions this spring:
Session 1: March 17-19
Session 2: April 21-23
Session 3: May 19-21
NEW Session 4: June 23-25
- Personalized sewing and fitting instruction
- Sewing demos on a variety of sewing topics, with an emphasis on fitting and dress construction
- The use of machines and basic sewing/pressing equipment
- Access to my archive of handmade and vintage dresses for sewing instruction and inspiration
- Muslin and pattern making paper as needed
- Friday night welcome dinner at a local Beacon restaurant
- Transportation to and from your hotel as needed
Cost: $795 (half due on sign up, half due 30 days before the retreat, non-refundable)
Who: Advanced beginner all the way up to Experienced! The demos will be geared toward the interests of the group and all levels will benefit from the individualized instruction.
How: Register here!
How: Register here!
All the Details
Join me in lovely Beacon, New York, for a fabulous weekend of dressmaking! Following the success of my past Hudson Valley Sewing Retreats, I'm partnering with sewing studio Beetle and Fred to host three new retreats this spring, with a maximum of five students each. These small retreats will allow participants to get away from it all, and focus entirely on sewing for a full weekend. You'll sew the pattern of your choice from my book Gertie’s Ultimate Dress Book--whether your personal style is modern or retro, there’s something for everyone. You’ll arrive with a bodice muslin ready for a personal fitting and leave having finished (or made very good progress on) a killer new frock.
We’ll begin Friday night with a festive included welcome dinner and then spend the rest of that evening having your bodice muslins custom-fit. That leaves all day Saturday and Sunday for pattern tweaks and dressmaking, with one-on-one guidance along the way. Students will leave with a custom-fit dress pattern that you can use again and again, tons of new sewing knowledge, and a stunning new dress.
I will give demos throughout the weekend on skills like lapped zipper insertion, working with steel boning, lining and underlining. My ginormous “archive” of dresses (handmade and vintage) will serve as inspiration and education.
My hometown of Beacon, NY is the perfect place for a weekend of sewing! This charming Hudson Valley town is just over an hour by train from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, but it has a lovely small town feel. It’s full of amazing restaurants, galleries, vintage shopping, boutiques, live music, natural beauty, and more. (Don’t worry, I’ll make sure we take a few sewing breaks so you can see the town!)
- The Roundhouse here in Beacon is a lovely boutique option right on the gorgeous falls of the Fishkill Creek.
- Check Airbnb for more local options.
- There are many budget friendly hotels in nearby Fishkill, NY.
Ready to register? Click here!