As of last night, we have 160 members of the Butterick 5824 coat sew-along! Check out the Flickr page; there are already lots of great discussions happening.
Here's a tentative schedule for the sew-along:
- Now until October 1st: purchase pattern, fabric, and supplies, make and post your muslin to the Flickr group
- Week of October 1st: Interfacing, Bodice Front and Back (Steps 1-9 in the pattern instructions)
- Week of October 8th: Skirt (Steps 10-17 in the pattern instructions)
- Week of October 15th: Facing and Bodice Lining (Steps 18-25 in the pattern instructions)
- Week of October 22nd: Skirt Lining (Steps 26-31 in the pattern instructions)
- Week of October 27th: Attaching Lining and Finishing (Steps 32-39 in the pattern instructions)
Looks like we'll have fabulous new coats in time for Halloween!
These steps follow the pattern's instructions, but I will also be giving additional tailoring tips throughout the process. (Also! Have you all seen the new Stitch Magazine? I have an article called "Your First Coat: What the Pattern Instructions Don't Tell You" that you may find of interest. I've seen the magazine at Barnes & Noble, Joann, and Hobby Lobby.)
Next week I'll put up a couple posts on supplies and muslin making. If you want to get a head start on your muslin, that's awesome. I would recommend just sewing a muslin of the bodice; the skirt doesn't have a precise fit. No need to include facings or linings.
Let me know if you have questions! I'm so excited to be sewing along with you all.