Right click to save any of these to your own computer. If you're inclined to add a link to your badge, please consider:
The response to the Sew-Along has been fantastic! I'm thrilled that so many of you will be participating. There have also been a lot of questions, and while I'm still working specifics out (I haven't even seen the pattern yet so it's difficult to get too specific!), here are answers to a few general FAQ.
- When will we start sewing? I'm going to use the next three weeks to publish a bunch of "prep" posts. These will include posts on choosing fabric, gathering supplies, and even a special post with Sarai Mitnick, the designer of the pattern! Then we'll start sewing our muslins. I'm aiming to have my post on constructing a muslin up the week of September 13th. (Don't worry, I'll let you know what supplies you'll need for your muslin in advance!) This will have us on track to be sewing our coats by the end of September.
- Can you help me pick a fabric? Yes! Yes, I can! One of the things I'm planning is posts about specific fabrics that will work well for this coat, along with links to online shops.
- I love the coat, but I want my lapels to be smaller. How do I do this? All in good time, my pretties. I will address this specific concern in the muslin stage.
- Can I use a different pattern? Sure! The steps to tailoring are pretty standard no matter what your design, but if this is your first coat, I'd recommend sticking to the group pattern.
- Can I make the coat without a dress form? Absolutely! I would recommend that everyone get pictures of themselves in their muslins so we can offer fitting feedback.
- Why don't you start a Flickr pool? Will do! Since our sew-along group is going to be so big, I'm really counting on all of you to make this a community project. If you feel comfortable doing so, please offer your feedback on muslins and other questions.
More to come!