Genevieve says the ideal outfit for an elegant woman who is leaving to spend the weekend in the country is this:
- a suit, worn with flat-heeled shoes (or boots in the winter), and a handsome handbag of the traveling type.
Kind of brilliant, eh? Just think how it could coordinate with your other vacation wear, like your red gingham blouse!
But moving on. According to Ms. Dariaux, I will also need the following:
- a simple dressing gown that is neither sheer not voluminous, but pretty and fresh-looking for breakfast, which everybody will probably take together in the dining room. [Interjection: we are going to a bed & breakfast, so dining with others is likely, but I will be doing so fully clothed, thank you. Though a very good idea to remember cute sleepwear on a romantic mini-break!]
- a pair of trousers, a sweater or blouse, and, in the summer:
- a bathing suit and a sundress.
- for the evening: a trouser suit if the evening is to be spent informally at home with her friends; or
- a long dinner dress, slightly decollete, if her weekend hostess leads a more formal kind of life . . . but if the weekend program includes a more informal cocktail buffet type of evening, a more appropriate outfit would be:
- in the winter: a very simple white jersey dress with a bateau neckline, or a sleeveless wool sheath in a pale color; and in the summer: a dress of the same type in printed cotton or linen.
Even if you are not at all an outdoor type of woman at heart, you should at least dress the part when you spend the weekend in the country, and by all means leave your false eyelashes in town.Truer words were never spoken.