Sunday, December 6, 2009
The Layer Cake Crinoline: A Multimedia Tutorial!
1. Watch the video for an introduction.
2. Look at the pattern diagram for the measurements on my crinoline (yours might be different depending on your hip measurement and the length desired).
3. Follow the sewing directions.
The pattern diagram! (Click to see it full-size.)
The sewing directions!
**Note: finish all seams with the method of your choice.
1. Cut your pattern pieces out. Cut two of pattern piece 1 in Rayon Bemberg or another slip fabric like charmeuse or china silk. Cut pieces 2 and 3 out of a sheer fabric with lots of body like cotton organdy or silk organza.
2.Sew the upper portion on the crinoline following the instructions on this tutorial.
3. Sew pieces 2 and 3 together at the side seams. Press seams open. They'll now be large circular pieces.
4. Gather the tops of pieces 2 and 3. I prefer to gather by sewing a large zig zag over a piece of sturdy cotton string or cord, and then pulling the cord up to gather.
5. Pin gathered piece 2 to the bottom of piece 1. Distribute the gathers evenly and pin together. Baste, and then stitch. Press seam upward.
6. Pin gathered piece 3 to the bottom of piece 2. Distribute the gathers evenly and pin together. Baste, and then stitch. Press seam upward.
7. Sew lace to the bottom of piece 3 using a very narrow zig zag stitch. Trim the excess fabric from the back of the lace.
8. Add a bow to the waistband.
9. Slip your crinoline on under a full skirt.
10. Sashay about!
Please let me know if you have any questions!